Radio Dayz

 


   " I still can be an example, a bad one but an example nonetheless" 



        Starting this blog off I decided to go with the hobby that I have that is second in line of hobbies that I have neglected and that is Ham Radio. Now annually we go to Dayton Hamvention and as usual I picked up a few small things and this year was no different as I picked up a few books and a Balun (a converter for an antenna). 

Now I have been a ham for almost 10 years and have only been on the HF band (the one you can talk around the world or the country on) twice before my HF antenna got cut down by a neighbor and the tower had to be taken down (more on this later).  Now all of that purchasing power coupled with my almost crippling addiction to books has made for a crazy unorganized mess. So the Friday before Laboor day I decided to do something about it...... 

A lot better Solution 
        

        I had everything I needed just lacked the will power to do so until I decided that I had enough. The shelf was being underutilized and the radio stuff was just awry. So first order was to move everything away from my desk, sweep and, move the shelving unit over. (I had cleaned it off the night before)  Next was to put the containers containing my tower climbing harness, hard hat, antennas and coax onto the bottom of the shelf to make it more organized. Next went my electronics at eye level, the books above that, and finally empty boxes for gear. 

The view from my desk with the proposed lighting on the shelves 

            Now after organizing 95% of the items in the shack, I decided to treat my self the following week. When I was in Dayton I picked Up Salty Walt's Antenna Sketchbook and the Balun for his Costal 20 antenna I was just lacking the other parts to make it so I decided a trip to DX engineering was in order. So last Saturday while it was raining I made my way over with my book and a parts list and bought just about everything needed to make that Costal 20 antenna and any others that I may want to explore. 

All of the toys (now to find the time) 


        Now that I have everything and it's organized the next things on my list are to finish up sorting out 1 more box of parts, put old radios up and put the antenna up in the back yard and test it on 20 meters. However this is going to have to wait until late October as I have to paint the tower, put it back up, tear my old shop down (next weeks post) And prep the chickens for a possible move. As always remember God is still in control and off to the next grid. Until next time take care......

 

Comments

Popular Posts